Following her double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery on Tuesday, Giuliana Rancic seems to be keeping her spirits up while beginning the recuperation process at home.
“I’m feeling good and I’m happy to be back home,” the E! TV personality told the network on Friday.
While the 37-year-old has publicly maintained a brave face since announcing her breast cancer diagnosis in October, Giuliana admitted the four-hour operation has taken a toll on her body — but also revealed the procedure rid her body of the disease.
“I’m healthy and surgery was a success,” she said. “It’s been tough, but I’m trying to stay strong and manage the pain.
“I have a newfound respect for women who have been through breast cancer and this surgery,” she added.
As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com, earlier this month, Giuliana revealed she was planning to undergo the double mastectomy after a previous lumpectomy was unable to rid her body of cancer.
“For me, it was important to get the cancer out,” she explained on the “Today” show in early December. “That’s what I wanted to do — just get it out.”
Giuliana said her desire to have children was a “big part” of her decision-making process.
“That was actually a big part of it, not all of it, but a big part,” she previously told “Today’s” Ann Curry. “But to be honest, at the end, all it came down to was just choosing to live, and not looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life. That’s really what it came down to.”
Copyright 2011 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.