In the ongoing battle between AMC (and other networks) against Dish Network, the cable channel has started a viral campaign called, “A Zombie for President.” Wonder how he’ll do in the debates. (via Pop Candy)
- The Frisky calls these 12 of the Scariest Looking Animals in the World but I’ll tell ya, I’d totally give a Poodle Moth a good home.
- Read Comics in Public Day is coming up August 28th, join in! (via href="http://dcwomenkickingass.tumblr.com/post/29845423305/wrcip3an">DC Women Kicking Ass)
- Do you want to know when Smaug will actually show up in Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit? It’s easy if you think about it but if you want to know for sure, highlight the spoiler here: “I think my eye might open at the end of the first film and then you’ll get the rest of me in the second,” said Benedict Cumberbatch. (via Geek Tyrant)
- A valedictorian in Oklahoma was denied her diploma for using the word “hell” in her graduation speech. This is 2012, correct? (via Yahoo)
A delightful illustration of how Hollywood takes novels and turns them into movies. (via The High Definite)
- Very sad news today, Tony Scott, director of True Romance, Top Gun and more, committed suicide in Los Angeles yesterday. ABC News says he was recently diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. Scott had a hand in several other films thanks to his creation of Scott Free productions along with his brother Ridley Scott. The director was 68. (via Movies.com)
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists put out a fantastic press release in response to Rep. Todd Akins ludicrous “legitimate rape” comment. “Medically inaccurate, offensive, and dangerous” are some of the words they used.
- Meanwhile, President Obama released his own statement: “The views expressed were offensive. Rape is rape. And the idea that we should be parsing and qualifying and slicing what types of rape we are talking about doesn’t make sense to the American people and certainly doesn’t make sense to me. So what I think these comments do underscore is why we shouldn’t have a bunch of politicians, a majority of whom are men, making health care decisions on behalf of women.”(via The Frisky)
The latest Gutters was written by Gail Simone. We love it. View larger on the Gutters website.
- The FAA has now changed its rules thanks to one transgendered woman who fought their policy of putting her through a series of five psychological tests to get a job as a pilot. “The FAA has now instituted a new policy that does not categorically impose these tests on transgender pilots,” according to ABC News.
- Consider donating to Draw It Out – An Intimate Breast Cancer Journey. It’s an illustrated look at Emily-Kate Niskey’s “roller coaster ride with breast cancer.”
- Were you one of the many Doctor Who fans who experienced trouble while trying to purchase tickets for the New York premiere of Season 7? Turns out there could be some serious legal issues involved with that. (The Beat)
RE: Obama’s comments: I’m just waiting for the first person to go “Oh you don’t think men should make women’s healthcare decisions? Then what’s OBAMACARE!?” /facepalm
I’m still trying to figure out why congresspeople with government provided healthcare are arguing that government provided healthcare doesn’t work.